Frequently Asked Questions
Before posting new issues on GitHub or asking the team or community, please look for your question here or search the 💢Troubleshooting sub-sections within each of the wikis.
🛑 STOP! Before you continue…
Where did you install the app from?
🚫 3rd-party builds are NOT supported nor approved. They are… not current, probably buggy and generally unsafe (unapproved modifications, malware, adware and may require backdoor profiles), and when Apple revokes their misused profiles, you will probably lose your games and saves:
—or we cannot help you.
The 3rd-parties do not help this community whatsoever, causing us wasted time with limited resources…they also unrightly profit off of the work of this open source team that works for free.
Yes. Controllers using Apple's standardized MFi format are 100% supported. Provenance also supports some non-standard iCade-type controllers (8bitdo, etc) and Valve's Steam Controller. As of iOS/iPadOS 13, Xbox One and Playstation 4 controllers are also now supported. See Controllers & Controls.
Due to copyright law, we cannot share ROMs or where to obtain them. You are legally allowed to make personal backup copies of your own purchased games for personal use as ROMs. Anything outside of this, you are on your own.
DO NOT ask us or the community where to obtain ROMs or BIOS files.
Currently, there is not a safe method for you install the app to your device(s) from the internet via web-signing—any 3rd party sites hosting the app are not approved nor endorsed by the Provenance team. Do not use them.
This is usually due to one of the following reasons…
Could be any number of the following reasons:
- You could have a bad ROM. Replace it.
- Unfortunately, not all emulator cores feature 100% compatibility with all ROMs. If the system has more than one core option [which is shown at launch (ie. NES:
mednafen), unless you've specified a preferred core for that particular ROM or system], try the alternate core for that game specifically. Some emulation core teams have compiled and maintain compatibility lists (such as Yabause (Sega Saturn)), which can be found linked in our Supported Systems wiki.
Provenance supports the system-wide Dark mode of tvOS. To enable it go to tvOS
- You might have built the debug version by mistake (app will be named Prov Debug on Home Screen and the version displayed in Settings will be
DEBUG)… If so, Re-build using Provenance-Release (iOS) or ProvenanceTV-Release (tvOS) in Xcode.
- All cores should run full speed on any generation Apple TV, or iPhone 7 or newer.
- Turn off Smoothing and CRT effects in the application settings.
- Devices as old as iPad 2 should run up to 16 bit generation systems at full speed. A complete performance comparison has not been done but this is a general guideline based on user reports and developer testing.
- Use a hardwired ethernet instead of WiFi for imporoved Bluetooth performance.
- Use your TV's low latency or "game mode".
- Turn off Dolby Vision.
- Disconnect / unpair any unused bluetooth devices.
- Remove any solid metal or thick walls from around Apple TV device to improve Bluetooth signal. Try to store not too close to anything using WiFi.
- 2.Only report against the very latest
- 5.Be very conscious of the active conversations in the #bugs channel on Discord. ¹ There is a major difference in just 'using' the beta and actually participating in beta-testing. ² You can install the beta alongside of stable release if you use an alternate Bundle ID.
- Web: We are looking for a web dev (preferably a dev/designer hybrid) that can help us upgrade and maintain our .com (WordPress).
- Content: We are looking for advocates who are interested in recording content for YouTube with the app in action.
- Moderators: We are looking for moderators for our Discord to help maintain and moderate the community. If interested, start by joining our Discord and helping other users to boost your rank in the levels system that awards experience for user participation.